Spain has some public holidays that apply to the entire country, other public holidays which apply only regionally and even local holidays which apply only to some municipalities.
On the occasion of the upcoming Easter Holiday, we are highlighting the theme. Most of you may know that Good Friday is a public holiday, but that Maundy Thursday also is holiday in almost the entire country is perhaps less known. Even Easter Monday is a public holiday in some regions.
- January 1st, New Year – Año Nuevo
- January 6th, Epiphany – Epifania del Señor
- March 20th, Palm Sunday – Domingo de Ramos
- March 24th, Maundy Thursday – Jueves Santo (Entire Spain except Catalonia).
- March 25th, Good Friday – Viernes Santo
- March 27th, Easter Sunday – Domingo de Resurreccion
- May 1st, First of May – Fiesta del Trabajo
- July 25th, Sant James – Santiago
- August 15th, Assumption Day – Asuncion de la Virgen
- October 12th, Columbus day – Día de la Hispanidad
- November 1st, All Saints Day – Todos los Santos
- December 6th, Spain’s Constitution Day – Día de la Constitución
- December 8th, Immaculate conception Day – Inmaculada Concepción
- December 25th, 1st Christmas Day – Día de la Navidad
Regional holidays, a selection (mainly in Andalusia, Murcia and Valencia)
- February 28th, Andalusia’s Day – Día de Andalucia – Andalusia
- Febryaru 29th Compensation day since the 28th fell on a Sunday – in Andalusia
- March 19, San Jose – Valencia and Murcia
- March 28, 2. Easter Sunday – in Valencia, the Balearic Islands, Catalonia, La Rioja and Navarra
- May 2, the day after Labor day off – in Andalusia, Aragonia, Asturias, Canary Islands, Kastilien, Leon, Extremadura and Madrid
- June 9, Day of the Murcia Region – Día de la región Murcia – Murcia
- October 9, Valencia’s day – Día de la Comunidad Valenciana – Valencia
- December 26, Partly compensation day since the 25th fell on a Sunday and partly common public holiday in some regions – all regions except the Canary Islands, Galicia, Basque Country and La Rioja
In addition there are local holidays in the municipalities. In some cases it may also be a local public holiday only in a particular part of a municipality.
Daylight saving time begins on 1st Easter Day, Sunday, March 27th. Winter time begins on Sunday October 30th 2016.